Cheese & Wine Pairings
Cheddar is a hard and tangy cheese and so it is a perfect match for wines with high tannins (to offset the dense proteins) and piquant dark berry fruits. Cabernet Sauvignon-based wines are the ideal fit and the below are some of the best expressions of Cabernet made anywhere in the world!
- Cabernet Sauvignon, Torreón Reserva Privada, Cachapoal Valley, Chile
- PradoRey Ribera del Duero Reserva, DO, Ribera del Duero, Spain
- Tenuta San Leonardo IGT Dolomiti , Trentino | Alto Adige, Italy
- Cabernet Sauvignon/Merlot/Cabernet Franc/Petit Verdot, Castello di Nipozzano, Mormoreto, IGT , Tuscany, Italy
Gubbeen is a smoky, mineral, and intense cheese which needs to be matched with wines that are powerful, but also smooth. Its smoky character allies itself beautifully to wines with lots of oak and its smooth texture loves low tannin red wines and wines with bottle age!
- Priorat, Álvaro Palacios ‘Finca Doﬁ’, DOQa, Priorat, Spain
- Meursault, Côte de Beaune, Maison Champy, AOP, Burgundy, France
- Pinot Noir, Huia Estate , Marlborough, New Zealand
- Rioja Gran Reserva, Bodegas Ollauri ‘Conde de los Andes’, DOCa, Rioja Alta, Spain
Boile goats cheese
This creamy, tangy goats cheese works fantastically well with unoaked, aromatic white wines and zippy sparkling rose. The classical pairing is Sauvignon Blanc but there are many wines that fit this bill brilliantly!
- Vette di San Leonardo, Sauvignon Blanc, IGT , Trentino | Alto Adige, Italy
- Albariño, Abadia de San Campío, DO, Rías Baixas, Spain
- Pinot Grigio, Attems, IGT, Friuli, Italy
- Rosé Champagne, Pannier, AOP , Champagne, France
The nutty, earthy, creamy profile of brie means it works with a variety of wines! Some of which will complement the richness of the cheese, some highlight its earthiness, others will bring out its nuttiness! Why not try all four to see how different the interactions can be.
- Pinot Noir, Gusbourne Estate ‘Twenty Nineteen’, Kent, England
- Pinot Gris, Seifried , Nelson, New Zealand
- Chardonnay, Springfield Estate ‘Wild Yeast’, Robertson, South Africa
- Nuits Saint Georges 1er Cru Aux Chaignots, Edouard Delauney, AOP, Burgundy, France